Friday, August 8, 2008

oh yes...something else {SO COOL!}

I also DO NOT want to leave out that Andrew and I had our first travel shots last Friday. It wasn't bad at all. Not at all! I got the Yellow Fever vaccine, Tetanus and Hep A. Andrew received the Hep A and Yellow Fever. He is current on the Tetanus.
Anyway, we hadn't really planned on the additional (large) sum of money for all four of us to get the Yellow Fever vaccine (our insurance covers the other shots). I called several clinics and two quoted me $160 per shot and two said they did not carry it. Realizing that we'd probably have to pay the full amt. for all of us, we started to suck it up. Our PCP office does a lot of travel shots but they said they weren't likely to have the Yellow Fever in/most likely would not order. Our kids' pediatrician was very clear to say NADA, "WILL NOT DO IT"... Feeling the crunch, we knew we had no choice but to pay out of pocket.
Friday we arrived at our WONDERFUL doctor's office and had our consultation with Dr. Douglas. Even though we had been told they probably wouldn't have it, nor would they order more, LO and BEHOLD, they just so happened to have FOUR vaccines left. Just the right amount for our family. We only had to do our co-pay! Chloe and Elliot are going in tomorrow to get theirs. (We are so grateful to our doctor!)
My advice to anyone needing this vaccine to travel to pick up your children, would be to ask your doctor if they can order it in...my understanding is that it comes in 5 single doses. This is a very spendy vaccine for your doctor to purchase, but IF you can get FIVE people together (new online aquaintances through adoption groups, family or friends who will be traveling with you, etc) JUST MAYBE your doctor will order the five single doses. That way it won't go to waste on his/her shelf. DEFINETLY WORTH THE TRY! Then most insurances will pay since it is through your PCP.
Anyway, kinda long post, but I feel that this is just one more example of God showing us that this adoption is really what He wants us to be doing.

OH, and we took pics of us getting 'shot'...I'll post them when we have all four finished. The kids got to see us get them last week and could see that it was virtually painless.

drubek

2 comments:

Cameo said...

Very good advice! I'm sure this will come in very handy to a lot of people. I can't wait for your referral post!

LISA said...

Yep, we got our shots too.Not so bad. I just wasn't sure if any would make us sick! They didn't!
SO what age have you requested?I could go back and look,but since our referral,i've become ADD!
Just busy really!email me and catch me up!!lisagharrigan@yahoo.com

Welcome to our site! We hope you enjoy the information we share during our adoption journey. As we document this wild ride to bringing home our Ethiopian children, we hope you'll fall in love with this beautiful country as we have.

Washington State, USA



Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Africa