Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Time Flies




It was this time last year when I was attending Chloe and Elliot's Christmas programs at school. Since one was in elementary and the other in middle school, the programs were held on different nights. I recall saying to several friends "Whew, this will be the last year I have to go to TWO different programs!" Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! Little did I really know that God had SUCH big plans for our family!!!
It doesn't seem possible that a year has flown by! We were also planning our trip to S. Dakota to see my parents...and that was also when my mother uttered those unforgettable words "I think you should adopt"...
Fast forward to now, Dec. 9, 2008. We are staring at two of Ethiopia's most beautiful children through pictures my friend "T" took while at the Toukoul Orphanage last week. Roman has changed 100% since his first referral picture, showing a severely underweight and gaunt preemie! He is now chubby, full of beautiful color and has the most adorable face!
Ruby is a stunning child. Full of health and vitality from the first picture, we knew she had been loved and nurtured from the start by her first mama. We are so grateful for the start she gave her precious baby girl.
We are forever grateful to both our babies first mama's. They gave life to these precious children! We'll never fully know the pain and heartache they have endured in order for their children to have a better life.
In a few years, I will once again be attending separate Christmas programs for all of my children. By the time Ruby and Roman are in school, Chloe will be graduated and heading to college. Elliot will be in high school. As I write this, I feel a great sadness. Our first babies are growing way too fast. Our second babies are not even in our arms. But, in my sadness, I am also filled with gratitude for a truly remarkable life. I am very blessed.

Drubek

3 comments:

Tania said...

What a wonderful post. It is so strange to think back to a year ago today. Our adoptions from Ethiopia have brought us all so many blessings and have opened our eyes to the world beyond the Pacific Northwest. I too am so thankful for Sabah's first mommy. Like Ruby, I could tell from the moment I saw her first picture that her mama took very good care of her.

I can't wait for your babies to be home. As I sit here cuddling with Sabah, I realize how lucky I am to have her in my life. So many people tell me how lucky these children are, but the lucky ones are those of us who get to enjoy their sweet sweet spirits.

Shelley said...

Hey online friend! Got your note a while back... Sorry for taking so long to get back. I can't wait to read up on your most immediate news. If you have not stopped by and checked our our news... we, too, will be welcoming home TWO kiddos from ET! Stop by and read the excitement... and excuse the rambling musings from this week.

Christie said...

This is so exciting for you! I can't wait to see those babies in your arms...it's just the most miraculous journey!

Whahoo!!

Welcome to our site! We hope you enjoy the information we share during our adoption journey. As we document this wild ride to bringing home our Ethiopian children, we hope you'll fall in love with this beautiful country as we have.

Washington State, USA



Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Africa