Friday, March 11, 2011

Ruby's 3rd Birthday...

March has entered with quite a few surprises. We've had an amazing amount of snowfall, school closures because of it and several birthdays...not to mention Andrew and I will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary this coming week! Whew.
My beautiful mother turns 75 tomorrow. She doesn't act or look a day over 60. She is a true inspiration. Always active and still walks about 5 miles every day...even in the 10 below weather of South Dakota! I wish she was here so I could help her celebrate...but she would say that I should be there instead because she was here last! That's my mom!

Our precious Ruby Kalkidan turned a big 3 years old yesterday! My what a grown up little person she thinks she is! Only with a lack for words when she's in public, our little dynamo had the whole birthday thing figured out. She asked all week when she would get her birthday cake and she asked for candy for her special supper. We had gone to a birthday party earlier in the week and she asked why everyone hadn't sung Happy Birthday to her instead! She even said that the gift we were taking to that birthday boy was hers and he was going to give it to her at the party! When March 10 finally arrived, she knew she was 3 years old and that she would get presents, cake and she was really hoping for candy. That last thing really cracks me up considering she doesn't even really like sweets! It's the whole glorious idea of it, I think. All the pretty colors, shapes and mystery of it all!
GrandmaRee sent her a wonderful little tea set, exactly what she wanted! Daddy got her a kite...again, something she's been begging for! I got her a couple of things she can take apart and put back together. She loves her toy drill and the tools it comes with. She also likes her toy cash register and money. But we have to keep the money away from Roman or else he will destroy it or put the coins in his mouth! Still working on that one!
Ruby also got herself something! She is almost done with diapers! YAY! A few accidents here and there but basically only wearing diapers at nap and bedtimes.
I'm getting payback big time...My 2 1/2 and 3 year olds still in diapers! ICK...when my older two were little, I so prided myself (and yes, gloated) over the fact that my kids had been PT'ed since they were under 2 years old. Heck, they were easy little trainers! I probably didn't hardly contribute to it. They just didn't want to be in diapers anymore...but the second time around?! NOPE! Ruby and Roman both have been pretty content to potty in their diapers and not tell a soul.
Roman is finally saying a lot. He tells me to 'sit down', 'what happened?!', 'what are you doing?', 'Where are you going?', etc. Most of what he says is still intelligible but he's making huge strides. Of course, his favorite word is "NO!" But he is the most polite little person I've ever known. He also will say (appropriately and after each time he gets something) "Thank you" and usually ends it with that person's name..."Thank you, Mom!" "Thank you, Dad", etc...He also says "Your welcome" and a favorite around here "I love you!" He is totally MY boy. I always tell him there's nothing wrong with being a mommy's boy! I am loving it!
To celebrate (and just get a break!) our glorious 20th anniversary will be spent in (sunny??) Southern California at Disneyland without kids! I think we are going to totally rock the park for 2 days! We'll have a romantic dinner and just relax and enjoy the time...but it will feel strange!
I have to say though, I've totally been needing a break. Having 4 kids, feeling like I'm being stretched in every direction but my scenery never changes is weighing on me! Honestly, my very precious toddlers are definitely acting 2 & 3 and giving me wrinkles! My teenagers are causing my hair to turn grayer with each passing moment. If I had to list each individual thing that my 12 year old says he "hates", it would take all night to type this! Thank goodness he has the ability (and uses it!) to change his attitude rather quickly! Just the thought that my 15 year old will soon be driving, dating and leaving the house sooner than I can blink just gives me slight panic attacks. I got married at age 20. That is just five years older than she is. WOW. I've been married now for half my life! My daughter says that is "just weird!"
SO, yes...I need a little break from mommy-hood and am gladly going on a Disneyland trip with my honey minus the kids!
Keeping up with this blog is almost useless! I wish I was more diligent. I feel like there is so much to share but when I sit down to type, the words are just not there...or they don't come out as eloquently as I'd like.
I guess it's just a heart weary week...The Ministry Of Womens Affairs in Ethiopia has decided to only process 5 adoption cases per week and this will sadly ensure that orphans and institutionalized children will stay in orphanages years longer than what they would have under the old plan. Some site that the work load was too great so they made this change...others say that this will help cut back on anything unethical. I just know it will hurt waiting families and hinder the cases already pending. Families will not be able to bring home their children that they already have seen pictures of and even possibly held tight in their arms. This will not allow children to find their forever homes, whether in America, France or elsewhere.
In a perfect world, each child would be raised by their own loving biological family...when that isn't the case, government officials need to create a healthy balance of what is BEST...and making these children wait in orphan care, without loving parents, proper clothing, basic necessities and food is a shame. I believe that Ethiopia has made some wise choices in the past for the parentless children of their country. I pray that they will review the decisions they have made this week and over turn them. I believe that Ethiopian orphanages for the most part are some of the most caring in the world. In general, they love the children and only want what is best. They nurture the children as best as they can and try to provide some form of education and work ethic. None of these things can compare to a family that they can call their own, though!
Japan had a massive earthquake, followed by an almost instantaneous tsunami which has most certainly killed thousands. Putting myself in that situation...thinking of the terror...is unimaginable. Just breaks my heart. I am broken, yet why?! I should be rejoicing that I am so very, very blessed. I have my family, my health, financials in decent order and a very comfortable life...
I am comforted by the beautiful text out of the Bible. John 14: 1-4 says:
1 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in Goda]" style="font-size: 0.75em; line-height: 0.5em; ">[a]; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.” AMEN!


2 comments:

Becky and Naing said...

Well said!

Anonymous said...

Maybe the Ferguson's could find time to give an annual update? ;)

Welcome to our site! We hope you enjoy the information we share during our adoption journey. As we document this wild ride to bringing home our Ethiopian children, we hope you'll fall in love with this beautiful country as we have.

Washington State, USA



Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Africa