Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Chapter Three

Chapter Three: When I last left off (If I can type for very long before Ruby wakes up from her nap!) I was going to tell about how Andrew and Chloe were on the mend. They had been sick for about three days and I was feeling like a woman without a country! Elliot and I had been caring for the babies each day (what a trooper that ten year old of mine! He was my right arm!!). I think I mentioned this already. He would hold Ruby in the back seat and I would have Roman and we would transport them back and forth from the orphanage to the guesthouse each day.

Well, when the sickies in our family were up to it, we finally were able to consider a day trip out of the city. (We had already given up on the idea of our trip to Awassa...a two day trip). We headed towards this lovely mountain filled with eucalyptus trees. About 5 minutes into our drive, Elliot suddenly says he doesn't feel well. He initially thinks it's because he didn't eat enough breakfast. So I gave him a fruit leather. Almost immediately upon eating that, he asks for a bag! Producing a gallon size zip lock, he empties his stomach into it. Wendi, our courageous driver pulls over and without a question, takes the barf bag to a dumpster...which I have to say is kinda funny considering there is garbage all over the streets anyway, yet the dumpsters are always full, too!
We continue our drive. Wendi points out that the athletes train on this mountain, which is about 8000 feet. Which is why they come to America and whup our butts!! We see numerous runners training, having no problem breathing at all and running full speed up or down the mountain! On the side of the hill, there are beautiful carvings of the Lion of Judah, a church in Lalibela (known for their amazing stone churches), other animals and Haile Selassie, the king of Ethiopia.
Elliot suddenly clutches his side and basically screams in pain...apparently Montezuma's Revenge was in full force. Wendi pulled over along the road, about a 1/4 of the way up the mountain and I dug out some TP for my anguished son. Andrew and Elliot were quite the site, running into the eucalyptus forest! Twenty minutes later (and seeing numerous donkeys and women with bundles of eucalyptus branches on their backs coming down into town w/ their loads), Elliot emerged, glad to be rid of his load!! (Ok, that was bad...) Apparently, it was pretty bad!! The great thing is we had a prescription for Cipro which helped him tremendously.
Needless to say, we turned around and headed back to the guesthouse so Elliot could recover fully. We actually made the trip the next day and it was a great success...more on that in Chap. Four...

Ru just woke up so I need to continue this again later. Hopefully sooner than later, anyway. I'll also try to get Andrew to upload a video of this beautiful eucalyptus mountain side. It was so lovely. One of my highlights of the trip (minus the sick kid!)...

Drubek

2 comments:

Christie said...

To answer your question - YES! That's the room we stayed in as well...wasn't it nice and big? I was so pleased with the closet space and little crib. Loved looking out the windows, too...

You know, the more time you put between your trip, the more you will miss Ethiopia. We have talked a lot about going back, and at some points, even missing it. What is up with that?!? (ha ha!)

Big hug!

Unknown said...

So sorry about that leg of the journey! Bummer! Isn't that view amazing though? That is one of the drives that sticks in my head the most...the road with a mix of runners and wood carriers.

I hope you are well! Have fun with those babies.

Some day I myself will blog about our journey. You are ahead of me!

Welcome to our site! We hope you enjoy the information we share during our adoption journey. As we document this wild ride to bringing home our Ethiopian children, we hope you'll fall in love with this beautiful country as we have.

Washington State, USA



Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Africa